Friday, July 24, 2009

Sweet and Sour Meatballs


You can use a bag of meatballs from Costco for this, but homemade meatballs are SO much better! And you can make a ton at once and freeze some for spaghetti or meatball subs or more sweet and sour....So here's a big batch of meatballs:


Ingredients:

5-6 lbs. lean hamburger (Costco's is 12% fat)
3 eggs
2 pkg. dry Lipton's Onion Soup mix
3 C oatmeal (quick or old fashioned)
2 C catsup


I dump all this in one of our big stainless steel bowls and squish it with my hands (but I put on gloves from dad's office because I hate to get that raw meat under my fingernails).


Then get out two jelly roll pans (with sides) and line with foil (to save on cleanup). Use your cookie dough scoop (2 oz) to make the meatballs....line them up right next to each other...put another piece of foil over the top and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so, until they're a little browned. I stick my instant read thermometer in one to see if it's about 165 degrees..

While they are baking... make the sweet and sour sauce and start cooking some rice.

Sweet and Sour Sauce

Ingredients:

1 20 oz. can chunk pineapple
1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
1/2 C red wine vinegar
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C soy sauce
1 t ginger (dry)
1 t garlic
6 T cornstarch
2 C water

  • Drain juice off pineapple into large frying pan. Add vinegar, sugar, soy, ginger and garlic.
  • Blend cornstarch into cold water and stir in.
  • Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring.
  • Add meatballs and heat through.
  • Add pineapple and green pepper last; cook briefly so pepper keeps its bright color.
  • Serve over rice.





2 comments:

  1. Mom we could call these Dave's favorite meatballs... I remeber always asking you to make these when I was a kid. They're super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm these make me home sick. i too remember dave always wanting these...and i would support the aforementioned title.

    ReplyDelete