Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Recently Read - August


This past week I read (I actually read, rather than listened to...and I even checked this book out of the library as I'm trying to wean myself from owning every volume I've ever read)...

The Art of Mending by Elizabeth Berg







I've had this book, The American Plague, for quite a while and just got to it....I always like these "disease books"... The Great Influenza by John Barry... The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson...The Great Mortality (about the Black Death)...it's fascinating to look back on the discovery of so many scientific principles we take for granted today...and maybe suggests that modern men should be a little cautious about assuming they know everything...there are still a lot of medical mysteries!

After reading this book you will be really aware standing water as breeding grounds for mosquitoes and lay up a good supply of OFF!



Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie ...the setting is 1950's English countryside and the detective is an 11 year old girl,the precocious Flavia,which seems to make this a book for upper elementary grades...but it was a very "educated" detective story...and would appeal to adults who enjoy the genre without a lot of sex and violence...it's the first of a series.




Some books of no redeeming value (NRV) that I listened to to pass the time while doing boring things like insurance and folding clothes: Robert B Parker's "School Days" and Jeff Abbott's "Fear"



And a couple "bookish sites" ... The Newberry Award Winners (and runners up) ... and for when you don't know what to read next...plug your last favorite book into this site and it will come up with lots of suggestions...The Book Seer

No comments:

Post a Comment