Friday, September 11, 2009

Apple Strudel


Apple Strudel (three strudels)

1 pkg Phyllo Dough (thawed, room temperature)
2 cubes butter, melted
bread crumbs

8 apples
1/2 - 1 C raisins
1/2 C chopped walnuts
cinnamon

Peel and slice apples; mix with raisins, nuts and cinnamon.



Working with Phyllo...it's important not to let the phyllo dough dry out while you're assembling the strudel. After opening the dough and removing the first sheet, immediately rewrap and cover with a damp towel. The dough leaves may be difficult to separate; if some tear, don't worry...just use pieces to keep building your strudel.

I work on a dish towel covered with wax paper...it helps to lift the strudel as you roll it.
Place one sheet of phyllo on wax paper; brush with melted butter and some plain bread crumbs (abt 1 Tablespoon per layer). Add layers, brushing with butter and more breadcrumbs until you have 6 layers. Then scoop 1/3 of the apple filling along the long edge; roll up, pinch ends and place on cookie sheet. Continue making two more. Brush with butter and slash tops diagonally with knife...bake at 350 about 45 minutes until apples are done.

1 comment:

  1. Mom I remember you making this way back when I was really little and I always got excited. I remember thinking it was "fancy" so I could never eat it, unless you or Dad dished me up some.

    ReplyDelete