Friday, October 23, 2009

Apple Cream Pie

I thought I had already posted this, but I guess not... this is a recipe from a book called The Little Heathens



It's about growing up as a child in on an Iowa farm during the Depression...Val and I thought it sounded like Gma Eck.

This is seriously almost better than Mom's Apple Pie...kind of like pie with the ice cream already on it...this is for two pies

I get two Marie Callendar's unbaked pie shells...in freezer at Safeway or Lucky's.
Mix:

1 1/2 C sugar

1/2 t salt

1/3 C flour

2 t cinnamon

Pat about 3 T of this mixture into the bottom of each of the uncooked pie shells. Then fill with peeled and sliced apples. I used Granny Smith...about 8 of them (medium sized). Pile the apples high; they sink down when cooked.

Sprinkle the rest of the sugar/flour mix over the apples; sprinkle with a little more cinnamon if you want. Then pour:

1 C heavy cream (whipping cream) over each pie. (1 pint of cream for whipping)

Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes; then lower temp to 350 and bake about another hour. I lay a piece of foil over the top of the pies to keep them from browning too much.



1 comment: