Sunday, January 31, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup


This soup is sort of like eating pumpkin pie...it's yummy (if you like squash...if you don't you probably won't be too excited)

Butternut Squash Soup

2 lb. cubed butternut squash (I bought some at Costco)
2 T butter
2 leeks (or you could just use more onions)
2 brown onions
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 apple, peeled and cubed (I used a Honey Crisp)
32 oz chicken broth (I used Kitchen Basics from Safeway)
1 C apple juice (I used Barsotti's fresh pressed)
3 cinnamon sticks

I used my big red cast iron pot, but any soup pot will work. Saute the onions and garlic a bit in the butter about 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and simmer about 40 minutes until everything's tender. Remove the cinnamon sticks and puree in blender (I used the Vitamix). Salt and pepper to taste...serve with sour cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
This was very reminiscent of pumpkin pie...next time I think I'll use curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment