Sunday, January 24, 2010

Onion Soup

French Onion Soup

6 medium brown onions
2 T butter
2 t sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 C red wine (optional...I usually don't have any)
6-8 C beef broth (I use that beef paste you mix with water)
1/2 t thyme (again,optional)
Swiss cheese, grated
French Bread

Peel and slice the onions; cook with the butter, sugar and salt until slightly browned...either about 1/2 hour on the stove, or this time I left them in my crock pot for a couple of hours since I was going to be gone...add the wine, broth and thyme and simmer for another 1/2 hour (or keep cooking in the crock pot)
To serve, toast the french bread slices...you can leave them whole, but I usually cut them into chunks (like big croutons) to float on top of the bowls of soup. Cover with the grated cheese and broil until melted (or heat each bowl in the microwave about 40 seconds)


This picture is kind of skimpy on the cheese because I forget to take a picture until we had eaten almost all of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment