Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Caramel Bars

Why am I baking this? We don't need this kind of temptation around...but I saw it on My Kitchen Cafe and couldn't resist!



Oatmeal Chocolate Caramel Bars

Mix:
1 1/2 C old fashioned oats
1 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 C melted butter

Pat half of this into a 9x13 pan (I used a glass one). Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes.
While that's baking, having unwrapped 14 oz. caramels, melt them in the microwave with 1/2 C cream (I used whipping cream, but you could probably just use milk).

When the oatmeal crust has baked, take it out and sprinkle over the top 2 C (12 oz) chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate); then pour the melted caramel over the chips and finish off by sprinkling the remaining oatmeal mix over the top.

Bake an additional 12-15 minutes, until slightly browned. This really has to cool completely before cutting to allow the caramel to set up. Even after it had cooled to room temp, I put in the refrigerator for a while. Be sure you have lots of milk to drink when you serve these!

1 comment: