Monday, March 8, 2010

"Oh My Gosh" : Butter Chicken

The other day, Kathy B...(one of the Great Cooks of the World) said she had made the Butter Chicken on the Pioneer Woman blog and it was YUMMM....So with that recommendation, I accumulated the ingredients and got around to making it last night while we were watching the Oscars. (I had started it Saturday night, because it's supposed to marinate overnight)


It only took a few minutes to actually put it together and about 40 minutes to cook...and looking at the final product didn't set off any bells and whistles...BUT when we finally scooped up some over rice...Mark's reaction..."OH, MY GOSH!" I agreed.


So here's my Butter Chicken...I need to get some plain white plates to improve the look of my food pictures...there's a better one at Pioneer Woman (actually it's a recipe from one of her readers on Tasty Kitchen)



















Butter Chicken

(Of course I couldn't actually follow the recipe exactly...I was doing more chicken breasts)

6 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts(the original recipe used 4)
5 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoons Black Pepper
½ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper(I only used 1/4 t, but 1/2 would have been OK...I'm a chicken about spicy stuff)
¼ teaspoons Ground Coriander(I doubled this)
¼ teaspoons Cumin(I doubled this)
¼ teaspoons Cardamom(I doubled this)
2 whole Limes, Juiced( actually used 3)

1 whole Onion, Diced(it was a big one)
¼ cups Butter(1/2 cube)
1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Tomato Sauce
1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 pint Whipping Cream(I actually used 1 C cream and 1 C half and half)
1 bunch Chopped Cilantro, to taste

2 cups Basmati Rice (I just used regular rice)

Preparation Instructions
Combine first 9 ingredients and marinate overnight. I started out with frozen chicken breasts, put them in a zip lock bag and poured the marinade over...the original recipe only called for 1 lime...I used 3...they were small...I like lime...it seemed to make the marinade distribute better.
Then I put the bag into the refrigerator overnight...turning a few times...
Saute the onion in the butter until soft. Add marinated chicken (you throw the marinade out) and cook about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat with the lid on. Add the whipping cream (I have used light cream or half-and-half also) and cilantro just before serving over Basmati rice.(I was too cheap to buy Basmati at Safeway)

No comments:

Post a Comment