Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Recently Read: Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio




The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio
(or how my mother raised 10 children on 25 words or less)

For anyone who grew up in the 50's or 60's this will bring back a lot of memories...for anyone else it gives a great picture of growing up in simpler(and poorer) times...it was hard to see the difficulties caused by the alcoholic father...but inspiring to see how a mom's wonderfully positive attitude pulled her family through hard times...it's amazing the prizes she won "back in the day" when "contesting" was a way of life

Evelyn Ryan's writing wasn't great literature but her life is the essence of "indefatigable."


Fielder's Choice
There are moms who can cook,
And moms who can sew,
And moms who will come
When they're beckoned;
But give me that pearl
Of a mom--type girl...
A mom who can slide
Into second.

(She won $5 from the Denver Post)

An entry into a Dial soap contest:

I'm glad I use Dial;
Hallelujah,
Now I don't smell
So peculiah.

Another poem:

Fitting Advice
Of all sad words,
Give these the prize:
"My dear,
You'll need
Our larger size."

A week before her death (at age 85) she wrote:

Every time I pass the church
I stop and make a visit
so when I'm carried in feet first
God won't say, "Who is it?"

No comments:

Post a Comment