Sunday, June 6, 2010

Who Will Teach?

I wrote this a long time ago (1984???)when I was the Primary President and was trying to get a new teacher for a Star A class (4 year olds). I kept turning in names...but went through several rejections....I wrote this and just gave it to Brother Clayton Johnson who was the counselor in the Bishopric in charge of the Primary...just to kind of get rid of my frustration...then misplaced it for years....a couple years ago JoAnne G found a copy in her files and gave it back to me...so I'm going to post it here so I don't lose it again. You can tell I was pretty bummed about all the rejections...it's a good thing it didn't get wide circulation in the ward or I'm sure I would have offended a lot of people!

Who Will Teach?

Who will teach the children?

Oh--don't ask me to teach Primary.
My children are all grown.
I've worked in Primary for years.
I've done my time.

Who will teach the children?

Me? You're calling me to Primary?
I have three pre-school children
and three in grade school
I need a rest on Sunday.
I'll teach when my children are older.

Who will teach the children?

You want me to teach the Sunbeams?
Why, I have three advanced degrees.
My talents would be wasted in Primary.

Who will teach the children?

Oh, not me!
I couldn't give up my Relief Society calling.
It's so much easier with my hectic schedule
to just teach once a month.
And when would I see my friends?

Who will teach the children?

Somewhere out there in a Star A class is a future Prophet of the Lord.
Who will set his tiny feet on the proper path at an early age?
Somewhere in those Sunbeam or CTR or Valiant classes are the missionaries who will one day go forth to serve.
Who will teach them the Gospel principles that must be spread throughout the world?
Somewhere in those Merry Miss and Blazer classes are our sons and daughters who we parents pray will one day enter the Holy Temple and be sealed to a worthy mate.
Who will build their testimonies strong enough to help them preserve their purity throughout the often turbulent teenage years?

Who will teach the children?

Service is not always convenient.
Service is seldom easy.
Service is not necessarily fun.

Service is sacrifice.
If not you--who will teach the children?

No comments:

Post a Comment