Thursday, August 19, 2010

The "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken (Fancy Tomatoes)


This book if 50 years old! I used it a lot in the late 60's...70's...
One of my favorite recipes I just made the other day when the tomatoes were proliferating....
(I'll have to add a picture later...they were so yummy we ate them all before I could find my camera!)

Fancy Tomatoes

Sliced tomatoes (if you want to be REALLY fancy you can peel them first by dipping in boiling water for 30 seconds)

Layer:
tomatoes
Sprinkle with:
a drizzle of oil
a glug of vinegar
a sprinkle of sugar
a shake of salt
a grind or two of pepper
a smattering of chopped basil
a bit of chopped garlic

Then put down another layer of tomatoes and do it all again...three or four layers is good, depending on how many tomatoes you have. Cover and refrigerate a few hours if you can. Flip the container a couple of times to recoat everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment