Thursday, November 10, 2011





Kaity's recent ventures into yarn arts and wooly things...




made me think of the story about Julia Ann Dillabaugh Zufelt (my 3rd great grandmother) and how they pulled the wool from dead sheep carcasses to make into yarn. You can read the story here...






Later, her daughter, Julia Ann (Grandma Pearson's mother)told of her life growing up in Cedar Fort (just east of today's Eagle Mountain)...she says..."When I was only a girl of 9 I had to wash all of the dishes and I never liked it. At twelve years of age I began spinning yarn. We washed the wool and father took it 15 miles to Lehi and had it carded into rolls. We spun it into fine thread to make cloth, then we dyed the yearn. Logwood made black dye; oak bark, brown; rabbit brush, yellow; madder and alum made a dull red; and indigo made blue. It required three or four days to dye a fast color with indigo. When green was the desired color the yarn was first dyed yellow, then put in the blue dye. Mother would wind the yarn on a stick the way she wanted the cloth striped, then send it to the weaver. When we got the woven cloth back we had to cut our clothes and sew them all by hand, even the mens' suits. We had to spin the thread for all of our clothes and all of our blankets. Our blankets were usually gray.

A far cry from a trip to Target!

1 comment:

  1. I love "ancestor" stories!! And appreciated your comment on my blog - I had lost track of my link to your blog. I wish someone in my family lived in Northern California still so that I'd run into you once in awhile!! Your kids and grandkids are looking good!!

    ReplyDelete