Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fall Favorites....Apple Crisp



Apple Crisp
Such a simple recipe...but I still get out my old Betty Crocker Cookbook to look up the recipe. The book is falling apart so it will be good to "blog it"

Almost everything in this recipe is "approximate"...sometimes I use a 9x13 glass dish...the apple layer is a little thinner and I make  a little more topping so I still have a nice thick layer...you can double or triple the topping and put the extra in the freezer to make it easier the next time you want cobbler...
Use any greenish or green-red streaked"cooking" apple...golden delicious, granny smith, gravenstein, pippin...














4 C sliced, pared apples (about 4 large...I used 6 which made a pretty thick layer in this dish..it's about 11x9 inches)


















3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C flour
1/2 C old fashioned rolled oats (Quaker)
1/3 C butter (or margarine)
3/4 t cinnamon
3/4 t nutmeg (I usually just use 1 t of each...can crisp be too spicy?)

Put apples in pan (hope you have a handy dandy apple slicer! I just got a new one..be sure to get one that clamps on your breadboard...the suction ones don't work very well)



Mix dry ingredients..."cut in" butter or margarine and mix (with your fingers) until crumbly...





..sprinkle over top of apples and bake at 350 about 40 minutes...or a little longer if your layer of apples is thicker....actually it's about 30 minutes at 375...but I'm always worried about too much browning so I bake at 350...so if you cook at the higher temp you may want to cover part way through with a piece of foil...also different types of apples cook in different amounts of time....test with a fork...

2 comments:

  1. yum! i'm going to have to make this sometime this week...but i need a few days of being back "on" my diet before i do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes..I've eaten half of this myself! Yikes! I to take it to Mark...

    ReplyDelete