Saturday, July 17, 2010

Grandma Virginia's Papaya Sherbet

I used to make this a LONG time ago...it was a recipe Gma Virginia got when she lived in Hawaii. I got a big papaya (one of the Mexican ones) at Sam's club the other day and used part of it for this. Otherwise one or two of the smaller ones will work.




Papaya Sherbet
1 C papaya pulp
1 C sugar
2 oranges, juiced
1 lemon, juiced
2 C whole milk or half and half (or use lo fat milk to lower fat content)

I blended my papaya in the Vitamix, added the sugar, juices and milk. Then fr0ze in an ice cream maker (I used my Donvier)....Grandma, in the days before good blenders and electric ice cream makers, pushed the soft papaya through a strainer to get the pulp, then froze it in an ice cube tray in her freezer (without the cube dividers), taking it out and mashing it with a fork when partially frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment