Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Stormy Day...and Clam Chowder

I thought I had already posted this, but I guess not....I often make this in my pressure cooker...it only takes about 3 minutes to cook the potatoes....but a big soup pot works as well. Most of these ingredients are pretty "approximate"...



3-4 slices bacon
2 medium onions
3 stalks celery
3-4 potatoes (more if they are smallish)
2 cans minced clams(with liquid)
3 C milk***
4-5 T flour(I like Wondra)



Slice the bacon into 1/4 inch pieces and cook in your pot...you can drain off the grease if you want to lower the fat content of your chowder...but leave a little for sauteing the onions and celery.
After sauteing chopped onions and celery, add potatoes, diced (about 3/4 inch)
Add about 2 C water, cover and cook until potatoes are tender.
Add milk/flour mix; simmer until thickened and season with s & p or lemon pepper.

***Milk...originally when Grandma Janiece made this we just added 2 cans of evaporated milk; we didn't thicken it. But now I usually use some combination of (depending on how low fat I want it to be) milk and half & half...thickened with the Wondra flour. I have made it with all 1% milk too and it's still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment